Tuesday, May 1, 2012

planting tomatoes



Around these parts, it's time for tomatoes.  Planting tomatoes, that is.  At the end of a warm day like yesterday, it seemed like just the right thing.  I even made myself a little margarita to quench my thirst as I dug in the soil, shoveled in some rich compost, and planted the first 6 plants.  I got them from Kassenhoff, and they recommend that you remove the bottom leaves/branches and put the plant in deeper, covering the bottom half.  We will see how it goes; for now they are looking quite happy.  I even took the time to rework the irrigation - switching the drip line to the nearby peas and carrots (I love planting them in a bed together), and moving the line with individual emitters to the tomatoes.  This year I am going to try a test and also keep a drip emitter line (6" for those who know about these things) in the tomato bed, thinking that it may help keep the general soil moist for critters like worms and such.  If I would mulch the beds (maybe, just maybe, I might get to that), I am sure that would also help!

No comments:

Post a Comment