Friday, May 4, 2012

carrots






It was a magical day of carrots yesterday.  I was helping with the first grade gardening class, and we uncovered all sorts of carrots as we were weeding.  Some of the kids pulled a carrot for the first time; it was great to watch them.  I washed them and then we all ate them and shared several with teachers and onlooking parents.  So sweet and fresh.  I brought home the littlest ones for Butch the bunny - he loves the greens.

After school I checked on the littlest carrots in our garden, just peeking up from the soil.  After waiting a week or more for them to pop up, and with the cat or kids or watering cans potentially disturbing them along the way, I am always happy to see their little green shoots in a line.  They made it.  I thinned then, gave them a little extra water and good wishes for speedy growing.

Later that night when my kids were sitting at the dining table working on homework and an art project, I decided to bring out my stamp to carve.  I am making muslin produce bags to sell at the upcoming craft show.  I wasn't sure which stamp to start with, so I asked my daughter, and she answered clearly, "carrots".  I then dusted off an old but lovely small sketch book from years ago, in which I had sketched some stamping ideas.  What should I find, but a carrot sketch, lovingly drawn for my further inspiration now.  Rather like pulling a carrot out of the ground after planting it months prior...........


No comments:

Post a Comment