Wednesday, May 16, 2012

favas

I have started taking a clearing and cleansing class with a good friend of mine.  We are just getting started on the clearing part, and I have been looking around with a slightly different frame of view.  I have yet to start on clearing some of my priority places inside (that starts tomorrow), but I did get inspired over the weekend to do some clearing in the garden.  And I can learn most of life's important lessons from my garden.  I was looking for a place to plant squash and cucumbers.  It's time to make room for those summer veggies.  I was looking into the spot where nasturtiums have been growing, and then I realized it was time to clear the favas.  I had planted them to feed the soil, but didn't get to turning them into the soil until too late.  And once they bloomed - beautifully - I was easily convinced to let them grow pods for eating.  I have been harvesting the favas for the last week, mostly eating them raw in the garden.  But now it was time for a grand clearing.  And it felt great to make room.  I left the roots in the soil with all those nitrogen globules (my highly scientific name) in place, and added some compost in each large hole I dug for my new veggies.

Then I had to do something with the favas.  Usually I make a puree similar to the one in Chez Panisse Vegetables, great with homemade ricotta, by the way.  But that was too demanding for me, tired from gardening.  So I found a great recipe on 101 Cookbooks (Heidi Swanson) for grilled favas.  And how delicious they are.  I LOVE being able to just toss with olive oil and salt and throw them on the grill (like I do to my asparagus).  Then once they are done, you can relax with friends at the dinner table and shell and eat them, pausing and chatting (and drinking rose, if you like).  A lovely Saturday dinner it was (so great I made them again tonight).  And there are still more favas in the fridge..........




No comments:

Post a Comment