Friday, May 11, 2012

lemon balm tea

When life gives you lemons........or lemon balm, that is;  make lemon balm tea.  It is great stuff, and good for you as well.





One of the wonderful things about gardening is how it teaches you to make use of what you have around you.  For example, I need something green for lunch (to go with my almonds), and am short on time.  Answer: pick a few leaves of lettuce and a pea and a few favas and pop them in my mouth.  Done; yum.  I love having herbs to snip and use in my cooking (one of the things I would thoroughly miss if I ever left California).  And now, I make use of the lemon balm that is growing and expanding (invading?) in several areas of my garden.  Snip, snip, snip; it looks better when trimmed.  And then you just rinse, put in a pot or jar and pour over boiling water.  Let it steep for an hour or more.  If you like, add a little honey or agave and drink.  Or chill and drink over the next few days.  I sometimes add a little mint or lavender or both.  Mint is great when drinking it cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment