Friday, March 9, 2012

woodburning makes a comeback








Last week I assisted a fellow parent in helping my son’s classmates burn designs onto wooden bowls.  I hadn’t touched a wood burning tool in at least 30 years, but found it was actually quite gratifying.  We found that another tool was going to help move the project along, so I happily offered to buy one (thank goodness they still sell these at the art shop blocks from my house).  And once it came home, I had to put it to use.  Hmmmmm, what could I burn?  I looked around and found some redwood scraps, and remembered a friend’s birthday coming up.  A bedroom sign was born: sanding, sketching, and burning, followed by a little mineral oil.  Even the kids got into the project and made their own presents.  What an enjoyable way to spend a Friday afternoon!

No comments:

Post a Comment