Wednesday, March 28, 2012

homemade ricotta





I finally got to one of K. Ruby Blume's cheesemaking classes last week - offered by the Institute of Urban Homesteading, headquartered here in Oakland.  She is an inspiring yet practical teacher, and offers great hands-on classes.  Ever since I helped a friend make mozzarella many years back, I somehow knew making cheese was one of my callings.  And I have had many unfulfilled cheesemaking urges lately.  No longer!  This week I bought some cheesecloth from the Oak Barrel in Berkeley, and got to work making my first batch (well, second...) of ricotta.  It is so simple to make; just heat up good milk and stir in lemon juice (in my case, giant ones from our friends' tree - a wonderful part of living here in Oakland), wait for curds to form, strain off the whey, and you have cheese.  With garlic and some fresh herbs mixed in, it couldn't be more delicious.  Here's a similar recipe from Smitten Kitchen if you want to try it yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment