Thursday, March 15, 2012

ode to my farm box




I love opening up my farm box each week, and finding the surprises it offers me.  It allows me to fully experience the changing of the seasons and challenges inspires me to cook with different vegetables and find new recipes.  I have subscribed to a CSA or farm box since 1993, with a few breaks.  I started with Full Belly, when I had no garden of my own (and when I hadn't yet found the joy of kale and kohlrabi), and when I still missed the seasonal changes of the East Coast.  It was my window into the joys of the West Coast growing calendar.  I fondly remember getting green garlic for the first time (and making green garlic dip!), and then watching it get bigger in the following weeks.

When our school started a farm box to support the gardening program several years ago, I signed up and now help assemble the boxes many Wednesday mornings with some old and new friends.  The box is lovingly created each week by Crossley:  full of local, organic fruits and veggies, accompanied by delicious recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment