Thursday, August 9, 2012

summer salads

I love salads in the summer.  All those delicious fresh veggies coming together to make mouthwatering combinations.  My favorite summer salad (as well as that of my husband and daughter), without doubt, is insalata caprese.  Heirloom tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, and some chopped basil.  Dressing: fine olive oil drizzled over the top and a dash of balsamic tucked down under, with a little salt sprinkled on top as well.  Sorry but no photo right now.  My other favorites this summer (and those most requested):

favorite tuna salad
inspired by the delicious Copacabana tuna sandwiches I enjoyed in grad school at Berkeley made by Brazil Cafe, this is one of the few tuna salads I enjoy eating by the spoonful.  I love tuna melts, especially when I need a comforting meal, but this salad shines on its own.  And my kids love it too (and how that makes mom happy!).  I typically use equal amounts tuna and grated carrot, and then throw in a smaller amount of chopped red onion (or green onion) and chopped dill.  For dressing I combine mayo with a smaller amount of mustard, cider vinegar, braggs/tamari, olive oil, a little honey or agave, and some pepper.


kale market salad
I finally made a new kale salad.  I saw the recipe at 101 cookbooks and really wanted to try it.  It was the end of the spring fennel season in June, but I found some in my refrigerator, and pulled it together.  Simply delicious!



southwest cole slaw
Shredded cabbage (I usually use purple, but you could use green), corn, diced yellow and/or red pepper, diced red onion, corn, and (if you have them) diced roasted red peppers.  For dressing I combine mayo with smaller amounts of chipotle salsa, cider vinegar, olive oil, garlic, adobo sauce or smoked paprika, salt and pepper.


greek inspired chop salad
I love sheep milk feta, and so I make this salad to go with it.  Add chopped homegrown tomatoes (don't need to be beautiful just fresh and juicy), cucumbers (I have been using some of our lemon cucumbers and those go well), sweet peppers, and a smaller amount of finely diced red onion.  Dress with a simple olive oil and red wine vinegar, with some salt and pepper thrown on top.  And don't forget the crumbled feta - sheep milk if possible.  Mmmmmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment