Wednesday, August 15, 2012

making pickles




I made lots of jars of refrigerator pickles last year, but they were a little too salty, and didn't get enjoyed or eaten quickly.  This year I tried again and just experienced the success of a tasty homemade pickle.  I wanted to try to - and still hope to - use a fermented version shared by Sandor Katz, but ended up going with the tried and true vinegar variety.  Equal parts water and vinegar (a mix of 3/4 white vinegar and 1/4 cider vinegar) with a tablespoon of salt and sugar for every cup of water, and some turmeric, celery seed, and mustard seed made the brine.  I added a couple of small stalks of dill and a garlic clove to each jar.  Heat the brine to boiling, slice up the pickling cukes, put in the jars and add the brine and seal.  I just made the refrigerator variety this time, and I am sure they will be eaten within the week.  Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment