Friday, February 17, 2012

kids books



I love our library book basket.  Inspired by close friends, it sits on a table in our living room ready to inspire. 

While not everyone has kids of their own, they hopefully have fond memories of favorite books.  I don’t have the clearest memory of many things I wished, but it makes for fun surprises when perusing the library shelves.  I recently found a copy of the book Holly and Ivy while randomly perusing books at the library; suddenly I was taken back to when I was 8 and reading that book.  Even though Christmas had past, I took it out and read it to my daughter, and found myself tearing up just like I did many years ago.  And so many of Patricia Polacco's books, delightfully new to me, move me to tears as I read them to my daughter.

The Secret Garden audio book entertained our whole family on a recent road trip.  It took on a whole new meaning listening to the book as an adult, and allowed me to enjoy our garden and the spring growth in a wonderful inspiring way.

Currently I am reading Swiss Family Robinson with my son.  I am constantly recalling images from the movie I saw 30 years ago or more.  And while the dated language can be a bit much (overly complicated or downright sexist), the book takes my son and I far away from city life to a remote island so together we can imagine how simple life can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment