Thursday, August 15, 2013

summer of making part 2

My next foray into making with children this summer took place up at the wonderful Owl Camp up in Sonoma County.  It is a special camp with amazing staff who are dedicated to giving the kids an opportunity to explore nature fully.  The theme the week I taught was Art as Nature; Nature as Art, and I channeled Andy Goldsworthy, among others.  We made lots of different art and sculpture projects, but one of my favorites was the simple one made by some of the youngest campers on the last day, when we were hanging out down by the creek.


I assisted other staff in working with campers to build a teepee and weave tule mats.  It was so natural to harvest the plants on the property and use them immediately on a project.



I guided camper initiated projects like fort-building.  Hearing the kids describe a 4 part fort connected by a tunnel and a wall made me wonder how it would all come to pass.  It evolved and grew, and became a wondrous fort amidst a beautiful redwood grove.  The younger campers made a fort of their own, working and weaving together.  It was inspiring to see what was made.




Using the beautiful and colorful farm garden, I worked with kids to create a woven fence of colors.  It was great to see the color palette echo the garden colors beyond.





No comments:

Post a Comment