Friday, January 27, 2012

kale chips




What better way to begin here than with my daughter’s favorite snack (“will you make me a whole bowl?”) kale chips.  A gloriously simple way to turn one of the most healthy vegetables into a deliciously crunchy snack.  This truly is an easy recipe.  And I love picking the kale from our winter garden; it is one of the easiest plants I have been able to grow in these typically (?) gray months.  And then 45 minutes later they are transformed, and 10 minutes later, the bowl is empty.  I recently made kale chips for my daughter’s first grade gardening class (they are studying leaves).  While there were a few naysayers, most came back for seconds (yes, for kale!).

recipe
one bunch of kale (any type works here)
olive oil
salt
nutritional yeast (optional)

Preheat oven to 275°F. Rinse (I typically soak mine in cold water to remove any little bugs or mud) and dry the kale.   Remove the stems and center ribs by holding onto the stem and gently pulling the leaf portion off. Then cut into large pieces and toss and rub with olive oil in a bowl. Arrange the leaves in a single layer on a large baking sheet or two, and lightly salt. Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until crisp.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment